Monday 16 November 2015

Monster Sculpting!

So here I've sculpted a creature who was once human but got infected by the cave and became a horrible plant humanoid. Exciting part about this task was that I got to use a broad range of software to achieve the desired look.



I first used zbrush to achieve the monsters basic form using the dynamesh fincution to my advantage and not worrying about the topology. While doing the sculpting in zbrush I was making sure the sculpt was not so intricate.

1st pass Detailing




Retopo

Here I used a script to do most of the reopology work. But for meshes like these its best not to use the script cause even though it may maintain quads


here you can draw paths that'll guide the edge flow but its still not a hundred percent reliable. sometimes an edge loop would wrap around the neck 2 or 3 times or the edge loop would go in very random directions. I would've been safer to retopo manually instead of using the zremesher script. But seeing as there is only going to be a cluster for the neck to rotate its safe to say it should be fine. Though this script may save allot of time I don't plan on using it much. This kind of script still needs allot of work.

Here is a single edge loop selected around the neck. It wraps around the meshes neck 3 times like a coil :( There are other areas were the edge flow is completely of but its good enough for clusters.
UV shells were fine and so was the texel density.





2nd pass detailing(Bump map texturing)

For more detailing I decided to paint on a bump map. Reason being was to make sure that the animators weren't working with an extremely high poly mesh. This was also to save render time and make sure it was easy to import and navigate. Seeing as the back was going to be shown more I detailed the back area more than the front area. Not much of the front was going to be rendered.




No comments:

Post a Comment